Saturday, March 14, 2009

Why We Blog

My birthday was Monday of this week. That probably would've been an editorially better day to start a blog about myself because let's be honest, blogs are narcissistic entities. Anyone who has one (myself included) has a certain level of vanity that causes them to think that 1. people care about our lives enough to click on a link, save it onto their favorites, and continually return to read about us daily 2. people are wildly entertained by our musings about ourselves 3. people will surely look at every idyllic picture we post of ourselves and believe that's what we really look like, and 4. people will definitely remember each of our posts lovingly so that the next time we run into that person, we will feel appropriately in touch with one another.

Just the process alone of naming a blog is wholly debasing because the necessary action is to use a 3rd person reflective title. "Carrie: The Reluctant Californian." If I actually said something like that out loud in a conversation I should hope someone would slap me for being a self-absorbed hussy living in some socially delusional world where it's okay to use your birth name, as opposed to "I" and "me" when talking about yourself.

A blog is just as criminal as excessive talk about yourself. And I'm not gonna lie, I talk about myself a lot. Anyone who says they don't and that it's an unpardonable social crime to do so frequently is an idiot. What else are you going to talk about when a conversation crumbles because the person you're talking to is totally uninteresting in every way? You talk about what you know best: You. In all your blogworthy glory.

1 comment:

  1. Thank the Gods, Carrie Bowers is blogging. Now I don't have to call you as often on skype, right?

    ReplyDelete